Andrej Pejic – der Mann, der als Frau modelt/the man who was sometimes credited as a woman.
-Andrej, you are able to model both men and women shows …
-Andrej Pejic: It’s great to have no competition (laughs). But being unique is also hard. It was difficult to even get in this business and to be accepted.
-Are your fellow models never jealous because you were chosen as man of the 100 most beautiful women in the world?
-But, I sense envy. The girls are ambitious, the competition is huge. Some of them make me feel: You’re not a woman, you should not deprive us of the jobs.
-What is the relationship between the male models?
-They don’t see me as competition. For them, I’m more exotic.Because I’m cool, that makes me more fun. It is much more relaxed than with the women.
-How important is fame?
-There are moments when I would shave my head, because everything is too much. On the other hand, it’s part of my job and I will make good. I am not the kind who wanted to be famous as a child. Before this, I wanted to go to university. For me, this is still an experiment. But I still enjoy it.
-What does beauty mean to you?
-Two things. There is the physical beauty, it is based primarily on symmetry and femininity. But there is a deeper beauty that is defined by the intelligence and personality.
-How is your life?
-Most people see me as a woman. If they find out that I’m not, they can not believe it most. But I often get compliments.
-As you see yourself?
-I am what I am. I do not like etiquette. A person can embody so many different things. I look androgynous, and I feel very comfortable with that. Hairy, with lots of muscles would be uncomfortable to me.
-Do you feel sometimes never more than man, sometimes more than women?
-No, I don’t have a double personality. But in my style and the things that I love, I am more feminine. My personality is more feminine.
-Think and act as a man or woman in each case different?
-Professionally, yes. If I have to have a strong feeling at men’s shows, and be a sensual woman at women's shows. Privately, however I do not distinguish between women’s and men’s situations. I do not believe in big differences in the way of thinking. I think anyway, that is to equalize the sexes more and more: We merge.
-What kind of situations you experience in the output?
-It has not changed much compared to the past. The people know me now. Before, I was often mentioned. Many wanted to buy me drinks. Since then, there were often surprised faces. Or shocked! (Laughs) But many were even more interested in me because of my exotic job. People are familiar with mostly homosexual or heterosexual. And not something in between.
-Do you love men or women?
-I can’t say that I am a very sexual person. I want to be loved and to love. Such feelings have no boundaries. I want to leave it open, so is my sexuality.
-When did you discover your feminine side?
-As a child, it is one of my earliest memories. I played with Barbies and put on my mother’s clothes. But really aware of what it means to me, I was just going through puberty. Then I realized that it was not just a phase.
-What did your mother?
-She thought it was sweet. But she also said: Do not let your grandmother and your brother know. My brother is the opposite, very masculine. We have so often fought as children.Today our relationship is good.
-Do you go to the men or the ladies room?
-The ladies. Because there I can do my hair. If I go into the men’s toilet once, I’ll often get problems because to them, I do not belong here.
-How were you discovered as a model? They keep telling different versions, sometimes it was at the airport, sometimes on fruit stand …
-(Laughs) Right. But in each lies a grain of truth. But really it all started at McDonald’s. I was 16 and worked as a temp at the register. Eventually a model scout came, ordered a cheeseburger and handed me his card in his hand. At first I thought it was a joke. I called anyway and went to the agency. That’s how it all started.
-Is there something you would never make a model?
-Nude photos! Otherwise I’m very experimental. As a really good model has to be open, do not limit themselves.
-How do you live?
-Good. At first it was hard. I grew up in modest circumstances. But now I live in a cool apartment in New York. It’s quite large, beautiful and vintage. I enjoy it, it’s more comfortable. My new life has opened many doors.
-How do you define luxury?
-Something that is unique and unattainable. But I’m not a big fan of luxury. More creativity.
-You do not buy expensive things?
-(Laughs) I do, shopping a bit here and there. Most dresses. For example, I once bought a Galliano gown for $ 3,000. But I would never spend huge sums of money unnecessarily for earrings or the likes. That would be pure waste.
-Are you single?
-Since I’m in the modeling business, I had no relationship. Although I always do get offers – from both sides.
-Do you have groupies?
-There are a lot of people who make fan pages about me. But I see there’s no one outside the hotel. However, I’m not travelling like a rock star.
-How do you see yourself at the age of 50?
-I want to buy a farm in South Africa and I would just relax there.And I would like a family! I would love to adopt a child from every continent.
Andrej Pejic, der Mann, der als Frau modelt (blick.ch)